Top 5 Vitamins + Minerals For Hormonal Balance
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of presenting to some fabulous ladies at a corporate retreat in Napa, CA. The topic: Slim, Sexy + Sane – How to slim down, destress, and get your mojo back.
We had a blast discussing what holds us back from feeling our best and what we can do to feel more balanced and get what we want. A big part of the solution is finding hormonal nirvana!
The big three hormones, especially for women, are Cortisol (stress hormones), Thyroid (metabolism + energy), and Progesterone (natural anti-anxiety + anti-depressant). Since I’m a Holistic Health Coach, my approach to balancing this trio involves food, supplements, and lifestyle recommendations.
A lot of women had questions after the workshop
about how supplements can impact hormones.
Good Question…I thought you’d never ask!
Vitamins and Minerals are huge for helping with hormones. I put together a list that have the biggest impact on Cortisol, Progesterone, Thyroid …and I threw in low Estrogen too (aka menopause). Below, I also include a recommended supplement regimen as well as a link to order personalized and customized supplement packs from USANA Health Sciences, my trusted supplement product partner.
TOP 5 VITAMINS + MINERALS FOR HORMONAL BALANCE
#1 Vitamin C – HUGE for raising Progesterone levels!
- Progesterone is your natural anti-anxiety, anti-depressant hormone. It also affects your emotions and sleep. Low progesterone is the 2nd most common imbalance experienced by women over 35! Vitamin C is the #1 nutraceutical to help your body produce more progesterone.
- Food sources: citrus fruits, bell peppers, kiwi, strawberries, tomatoes.
- The RDA recommends a measly 75 – 90 mg/day. Optimal amounts are closer to 500-1000 mg/day.
#2 Vitamin D – Important for all hormones, especially Thyroid!
- Thyroid affects your metabolism, body temperature and energy levels. Vitamin D can help.
- The body can synthesize vitamin D on it’s own from sun exposure, but agood majority of the population in North America is deficient as we’re inside most of the time. Plus it can be very hard to get enough through diet alone, so we need to either spend some time in the sun or supplement. (read more in one of my blog posts here.)
- Food sources: low mercury fatty fish like herring, sardines, cod, egg yokes and mushrooms.
- Vitamin D is easily tested by your doctor. Optimal level for balancing hormones is around 75-90 ng/ml.
- The Vitamin D Council recommends 5000 IU/day for adults, but the proper dosage depends on your current levels.
#3 Vitamin E – Awesome for Menopause!
- Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and is super important for women with low estrogen, aka menopause.
- Did you know that to get the optimal amounts of vitamin E every day, you’d have to eat almost 3.3 pounds of almonds, one of the most vitamin E-rich foods? So much for the feeling Slim part…
- Food sources: vegetable oils, nuts, beans, and whole grains.
- 50-400 IU per day effectively decreases hot flashes and other low-estrogen problems, like vaginal dryness, and mood swings (give it at least 4 weeks to get the effects).
#4 Calcium/Magnesium – Prevent PMS, Constipation + sleep better!
- Calcium is the most common mineral in the body! Magnesium helps regulate calcium levels, so there is a special balance between calcium and magnesium.
- The right proportion helps prevent constipation and promotes healthy sleep, plus so many more vital processes. Both are important for balancing progesterone levels, which is one factor leading to PMS.
- Food sources: for calcium, dark green vegetables, seaweeds, sardines, almonds, dairy.
- Food sources for magnesium, green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains.
- 600 mg/day of calcium twice a day reduces PMS symptoms by 50 percent.
- 200 mg/day of magnesium helps with PMS bloating.
# 5 Fish Oil – Helps will all hormones, especially Cortisol and Insulin!
- Fish oil contains essential fatty acids, aka omega-3’s. Essential means your body can’t produce them but are necessary for cellular function.
- Fish oil helps regular cortisol levels, your stress hormone that “bullies” the thyroid and progesterone hormones. It’s common to have a combination of disregulated cortisol and either thyroid or progesterone. Fix cortisol and you could fix the others!
- Fish oil is the good fat that improves your insulin sensitivity + prevents diabetes.
- Recommended daily dosage is from 2,000 – 4,000 IUs depending on your current levels.
Ok there you have it, the Top 5 ESSENTIAL
vitamins and minerals that are the building
blocks for keeping your hormones balanced
and helping you feel SLIM SEXY + SANE!
RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTS + ORDER FORM
USANA Essentials Multivitamin: The good news here is that you can get the recommended doses of the Top 4 listed above all in one supplement. The USANA Essentials Multivitamin has all you need for C, D, E, Calcium + Magnesium plus so much more! I recommend this to all my clients as a basic foundation.
USANA BiOmega Fish Oil – High-quality, ultra-pure fish oil supplement. Formulated with lemon oil to eliminate the fishy aftertaste other fish oil supplements have. 2 capsules per day will give you 2,000 IU.
For PMS symptoms and/or a thyroid issue I recommend the following optimizer:
Active Calcium – Active Calcium was designed to complement the USANA Essentials™ in providing the full amounts of calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D in truly bioavailable forms.
Customized Supplement Packs
One of the things I love about USANA is that you can personalize + customize your own pillow packets! We call it a MyHealthPak. It makes it really easy to remember to take your supplements and take with you on the go. Let me know in your order form below if you’d like bottles or a customized MyHealthPak.
Use this link to browse the USANA products: https://shannonvigil.usana.com
But don’t check out or purchase there because you won’t get the best price! To place your order and get 10% off the retail price, fill out this USANA Order Form.
If you’d like to schedule a free check in and health assessment and figure out which foods and supplements are best for you, contact me here.
Lots of Love,